Branding Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Apr 20 21:33:33 BST 2011

On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 18:59:01 Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not a very talkative person, so there aren't many mails to the ML, or
> posts on my blog/planet about stuff I've been doing lately, so here's a
> little intro (again ;) ) -
> I started developing a QML UI for Calligra under a university project
> funded by Nokia this spring. As its been a QML learning experience for me,
> and integrating it with C++ hasn't been trivial, it took some time to get
> to a semi-working state.
>
> While development of the QML UI is going on at a better pace than before,
> and is catching up with rest of Calligra, there was this cool initiative
> called Plasma Active [1] which attempts to bring KDE to a broader spectrum
> of devices, including handhelds, tablets etc. Its a proud moment for us
> that Plasma Active wants to showcase Calligra as a part of the first set
> of Active set of applications, and so its time to push our efforts to make
> Calligra shine.
>
> I had some discussion with Inge over this (thanks Inge for the idea), and
> we concluded that the current Calligra Mobile (formerly known as
> Freoffice), is functional and robust, so it would not make sense to call
> the QML version as "Calligra Mobile" until it reaches that state.

Well, to be clear:  We simply can't call it 'Calligra Mobile' since that name
is already taken.

> However,
> Plasma Active gives us a good opportunity, and there comes the idea of
> calling the QML UI as "Calligra Active". This is beneficial currently as
> we offer our users both the mature QWidget-based UI, and a shiny QML UI,
> and they can choose.
>
> Finally, as most of the mobile platforms Active is targeting will be
> running a MeeGo variant, this will also help us to achieve goals
> summarised by Suresh at
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/calligra-devel/2011-January/000563.html.
>
> So, this mail is intended to -
>
> 1. Gather consensus to brand Calligra's QML UI as Calligra Active.

+1 from me, as you said above.

> 2. Move QML UI from my branch [2] to master, but we need to discuss where
> to? tools/active/ is one possible alternative, what do you think?

Yeah.  It's not ideal, since tools/ is not the obvious place for all non-
desktop UI's.  But this was discussed at the sprint and the long-term solution
is to split the current app directories into a core part and a desktop UI
part.  And then all the UI's could be placed under (say) ui/desktop,
ui/mobile, etc.

But until that is started, perhaps tools/ is the best short-term solution
since there is already tools/mobile.

> 3. Currently I'm not using any prefix for my classes. Any suggestions?
>
> So, lets join the Active initiative and lets make world domination a
> reality.
>
> (NOTE: if you're a Calligra Mobile contributor, you *must* reply ;)

That's you, Mani. :-)