Naming of the 5 office apps

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Tue Nov 23 15:09:37 GMT 2010

Hi

I've talked to several of youon irc, but here follows a formal request.

I'd like us to agree soon on names for the apps so the website, forums and
press material can move forward. I think we all agree now is the time to get
rid of the KNames if we ever want to do so. And since the word processor is
forced to be renamed anyway it will seem really silly to keep the KNames for
some.

I think it's pretty important that there is a common theme in the names. At
the very least having some KNames and some not seems unprofessional. But I
think we should go a bit further and actually make the names match in some
way.

My suggestion (several stolen from some of you) for names have a shared theme
of being a noun that describes in semi abstract terms what the application's
data is:

Wording - word processor
Compute - spreadsheet
Outline - presentation
Clarity - graph visualization
Plan - project planning

And yes "Wording" is a noun meaning formulation or choice of words. Same goes
for "Compute" which is the result of computations. "Outline" is chosen over
"Essence" because "Essence" means gasoline in French. "Clarity" is Yue's own
suggestion. And "Plan" is just the best I could come up with.

Can we agree on this and if not then please suggest what would you would like
instead.

Btw I don't think krita, karbon and kexi devs should decide on this, though
naturally suggestions are welcome. But otherwise some other might decide that
say krita should be renamed too. It's not a threat, but a request to not
interfere with decision that really is not your business. Ask yourself if you
would want strangers to decide the name of your app.

Hopefully we can come to a consensus, but this is the sort of topic where it's
difficult.

best regards
Casper