Use of the Calligra name

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Dec 29 15:51:59 GMT 2010

I have added the content of my previous mail as a policy draft:
http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Policies/Use_of_the_Calligra_name

Also I have been thinking about adding the following paragraph as well (I have
been thinking about this for a while, but discussion today with FC people
reminded me that just expressing preference does not work with distributions).

In my view it is a clarification of what is already expressed in the "based on
calligra" section.

== Binary distribution ==
Use of the calligra name for binary distribution is allowed for unpatched
version without any restriction.

Light patched version of Calligra are still allowed to use the name, with the
condition that the patch fix a compilation error, a bug fix, and has been
approved for a future stable release of the Calligra branch it was applied to.
We believe that minimal patching need to be applied to Calligra, but in a
certain circumstances, a distribution might need to apply a patch before its
actual release.

However, heavy patching, such as adding new feature, or patch that makes a
significant change and are not judge safe for a feature branch, would make the
resulting product fall under the derivative, and would require the need for a
different name, and the description can countains the mention "based on
calligra". However, if the patch add a new plugin, it is possible to keep
using the Calligra name, as long as it is made clear that the plugin is not
supported by the Calligra project, and not installed by default.

The reasons behind such a restrictive policy is to ensure that users get the
Calligra experience, and also to make it easier to detect and analyse what
problems are encountered by the users.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott