Developer Sprint

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Dec 21 21:17:24 GMT 2010

I am glad to see this thread and equally glad to see the long list of
valuable topics.
I'd like to add something popping on top of my head for quite some
time (while not working on picking new names for office suites ;))

I propose to go with Qt-only libs a bit more, to make our offerings
more independent each-other and drive potential contributions of new
kind (Qt only devs, non-KDE devs...).
Filters are good candidates for this group, and especially the
lower-level libraries like mso Smart Art, Diagrams...

KoReports are nearly Qt-only already (as a fork of OpenRPT it has
never used kdelibs in fact). The same for KoProperty lib.

I am investing into Qt-only Predicate a lot too
(http://community.kde.org/Predicate), as you know it'll be dependency
of kexi, hopefully 2.4.

Moreover I also believe that every app has some nontrivial bit of code
that can be provided on the outside with a simple API, say, using the
Facade pattern.

At a conceptual level the idea may evolve into slightly different
model of composing our building blocks: develop core functionality as
Qt-only and then extend for KDE, to get the integration level and
look&feel we all want.

A bit like it is in WebKit/QtWebKit tandem.

RFC.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek