Conflict solving and maintainer

Pierre Stirnweiss pstirnweiss at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 08:26:26 GMT 2010

I am very much in line with what Seb just said in his "philosophical
hike"(c). And it would seem from the previous posts that the current
maintainer bunch do not see themselves as application owners. The later type
of maintainers cannot apply to Calligra because it is not a one-man show
anymore. First there are a huge amount of founding blocks which are shared,
and second, noone can claim to own an application anymore. Even if the
current bunch of maintainers are all in the same line of thoughts, I think
it would still be a good idea to set the rule straight right at the
begining. One never knows what the future is made of, and in a couple of
years time some of the current maintainer might want to step down. It then
would become very relevant that the overall culture of the project makes it
clear what is expected of that role.
I also like the citizenship list idea. In line with this, it perhaps is also
a good idea to drop the name "maintainer" altogether. There are a lot of
strings attached to the term "maintainer" which are not necessarily
applicable here. Perhaps we could rename them as "facilitators".

As for taking lessons from the past and conflict handling, I think that we
should set straight away a mechanism of handling those problems. If we
basically say, we will deal with them when the problems arise and set up
something then, we would basically reproduce what already happened. The
problems would be unhandled until it is too late. I think the biggest
failure of the past was a lack of unanimously accepted way of setting
unsolvable technical disagreement as well as a lack of set consequences for
not respecting the community's decisions and rules (and that also includes
the way people are behaving with others) and no mechanism to enforce this.
I don't think we should be naive enough to think that from now on, there
will never be disagreements which can't be solved between the parties. these
should I think be extremelly rare occurences, but we should as a commnity be
ready to handle them in a commonly accepted way, before they turn poisonous.

Pierre