journalism

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Tue Dec 7 16:09:05 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:24:24 Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
> > http://www.itworld.com/open-source/129859/the-end-koffice-the-end-kde
> >
> > Perhaps we have not explained the origins of Calligra name in the
> > text, i.e. how *we* think about it. So there's some guessing outside
> >
> > :)
>
> This article is full of FUD and sensationalism. A rather poor attempt
> at getting more readers, IMHO.

I would actually say it's a pretty good article, although with some
speculation.  The one thing he has totally wrong is the brand name KDE as a
name for the desktop, but the comments sets that straight.

Regarding Calligra as basis for MeeGo office, he is right although he probably
has an invisible "only" in there somewhere.  It is indeed true that we want to
base the MeeGo office application on the Calligra, but also several others.

He writes:
"The key word in that statement is right towards the end: "mobile." Like other
application development projects, KDE sees a very fertile environment for
growing into mobile platforms, and rebranding KOffice is a needed step for the
KDE folks to get the perception of KOffice away from its former life as a
desktop-centric office suite."

This is 95% right, although there is again an implied "only" in there.  Of
course we know that it's mobile, but also tablet, IVI, etc, etc.