Use of the Calligra name

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Dec 1 17:21:26 GMT 2010

Hi,

I had like us to define how the "Calligra" name can be used. I think it would
only be guidelines, and that we would work on case by case.

== Calligra Product ==

First, there is the use of "Calligra" in a product name, personnaly I would
restrict that to:
 * software developed in our infrastructure (code repository, bug reports,
mailing list, forums...) and following our community processes
 * software released following our release schedule

For instance, freoffice follow the first condition, but not the second one.
However, I am tempted to suggest the release of Calligra Mobile in 2.4, by
renaming freoffice, but if Nokia wants to follow a different schedule, they
are free to do so (by license right :) ) but then they would have to use a
different name, be it FreOffice or Meego Office.

== Based Calligra ==

Second, it is my opinion that we want to encourage users of the Calligra
technology to reference us, so I would think that anyone linking to a calligra
library would be allowed to use the mention "powered/based on Calligra
technologies." And this would mean that FreOffice could have the mention
"based on Calligra Mobile.".

== Provide services on Calligra ==

The last type of use of Calligra is by companies, I remember the discussion
surrounding the fundation of KOffice Source [1], the general concensus is that
it is not acceptable to have a company use 'Calligra' in their name.

With two possible mention:
* "Calligra Contributor" that would be given as soon as the company as
contributed a given amount of code, at some point, for instance 1000 loc
(technically this list would countains Google, KO, Mandriva, Nokia, OpenOffice
PL, ...). They could be listed on the website among the list of individual
contributors.
* "Calligra Trusted Partner" companies that the community acknowledge as
reliable partners for providing services (code or training), they could
include a label on their website, and we would list them on our

In the previous discussion it was mentionned that the "trusted partner" label
could only given by a neutral party (ie the KDE ev board), which makes even
more sense now that a significant numbers of the members of the community have
commercial interest.

Also the condition to be a "Calligra Trusted Partner" are yet to be defined. I
would go for criterium of quality, openeness and friendness toward the
community.

So I had like to hear evrybody's thought on the subject.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m=120029576215130&w=2

--
Cyrille Berger Skott