Poll of application names

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 09:20:47 GMT 2010

On 1 December 2010 09:48, Jan Hambrecht <jaham at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 01.12.2010 09:05, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM, C. Boemann<cbo at boemann.dk>  wrote:
>>> On Sunday 28 November 2010 21:49:12 C. Boemann wrote:
>>> For Words/Write I actually don't have a preference, but will not accept Writer
>>> or Word. So right now I'm prepared to let the vote stand unless someone comes
>>> up with a really good alternative.
>>
>> "Words" is my single biggest concern of group #2 (the reason why I did
>> not vote for it).
>>
>> The problem is not so much that I dislike the word, but rather it is
>> far too close to "KWord" and "Microsoft Word". These are major
>> drawbacks, and I think we should really take them into consideration.
>>
>> "Write" sounds fine to me, and it does not come with this issues.
>>

> There is KWrite already, so I think it is a no-go too.

I remember we have discussed a bit about KWrite/Write and Calligra
Writer/OO.org Writer cases.
tIt's not that big problem, at least not bigger than risking MS
Word/Calligra Words conflict.

For example MS Access grabbed its name from communication software [1]
from the same company. There are dozens of E-mail lapplications using
'mail' word at least. Zoho Writer exists [2]. More examples could be
found I think. It's always a risk to pick generic name - one day other
vendor would the same way of thinking. So often without bad
intentions.

Moreover KWrite is not strictly Write, we do not grab the name KWrite.
But assuming option B is selected perhaps the preference is a noun,
thus rather Writer than Write.

As for the outcome of the vote, I see it's valuable that we have short
names, so often single-syllable. This is something good.

Based on the above reasons, my vote was specifically for Stage, and
Plan, against Calculate (because of length) and definitely not for
Words (because of MS Word).

Inge said:
> Actually, I think it's up to the maintainers now. You get to choose for
> kword, Thorsten for KPresenter, Marijn for KSpread and Yue for Kivio.

That's ok for me. Thorsten, and Yue have voted, but not Marijn...; so
if there's agreement for this idea they could confirm/adjust their
preferences.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Access
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoho_Office_Suite

--