Application to CeBIT

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Dec 1 09:17:00 GMT 2010

I have sent an application for a sponsored booth for Koffice at CeBIT this
year too. See
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Events/CeBIT-Open-Source-2011-Call-for-Projects
for the call for applications

The text I sent was the following. I think I have managed to hit the points
that they emphasized in the criteria. Of course, at the time of the
exhibition, it will no longer be called KOffice, but there is plenty of time
between the release and when we are actually there to change it to Calligra
Suite instead of KOffice.

        -Inge

KOffice is the leading free office suite for mobile environments and also
available on the desktop.  It contains office productivity applications and
two graphics applications.

The office productivity applications are:
 - KWord: word processor
 - KSpread: spreadsheet
 - KPresenter: presentation application
 - Kexi: Database handler in the style of MS Access
 - KPlato: Project Management Tool

The graphics applications are:
 - Krita: advanced paint application
 - Karbon: vector graphics application.

KOffice resides inside the KDE community, but has it's own contributor base.
The project is extremely active with over 100 contributors, including
translators. The core developer group is 15-20 people and the total number of
code contributors around 70. The last stable release had over 4500 commits
spread over 6 months and the upcoming version 2.3 will have even more.

Since last year, KOffice has managed to become the leader in mobile and
embedded environments. KOffice is the only free office suite (and maybe the
only anywhere) to provide a so called Office Engine on which any number of
different User Interfaces can be created. So far there are user interfaces for
the desktop, one for mobile (called FreOffice) and also an upcoming user
interface for touch tablets running MeeGo.

Koffice is heavily sponsored by Nokia for use in their mobile phones starting
with the N900 and we know of several other companies that are running internal
projects where the KOffice Office Engine is used to create new office
experiences. Commercial support for KOffice can be had from KO GmbH
(http://www.kogmbh.com/) in Germany.

We think that the KOffice Office Engine is very relevant to the industry right
now because of it's innovative approach to user interfaces and it's
portability to all form factors and input methods, including both
keyboard+mouse and touch screens. It is also obvious that the industry has
taken KOffice to its hearts with several ongoing projects.

As a community, we are sponsored by the KDE e.V to participate in events like
CeBIT, so we are certain that we will be able to bring enough presenters to
the event and to cover the required time.