[Bugsquad] Versions and commit hooks

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed May 16 15:38:07 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 16 May 2012 17:18:40 Aleix Pol wrote:
> Well, it's not about people doing this, but that we're asking people
> to put redundant information in the commit message.
I don't consider this to be redundant information, but also see it as a quite
useful information when using git log to go through the commits or in
combination with git blame and afterwards using git show. Basically it gives
me all the information I need when looking at a given commit: what? why? when?

Given that it is also just one additional line which goes with the BUG field I
don't see an issue with adding the field at all.

> Maybe this information could be gathered in a commit hook?
Given that different products have different release schedules, I doubt that's
possible to do with a git hook.

What I would like to have is a git hook which blocks a commit to stable branch
if it has not the fixed-in field ;-)

Cheers
Martin