[Bugsquad] KWin BugDay

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Sat Sep 18 14:01:12 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

at our sprint in Stuttgart, Martin Grässlin asked me if we would be
interested in doing a KWin BugDay. His main reason is that with the
latest influx of bugs it's getting harder and harder for him to keep
up.

I'd really like to do this BugDay, but as I stated in my last mail,
I'm really in need of help, especially regarding good marketing and
providing help to new triagers. The date I have in mind is currently
Sunday, 3rd of October, the Sunday after would be fine as well.

Now on to some details:

The BugDay would consist of 3 goals:
- Check for old KWin bugs reproducability (KDE3 and early KDE4)
- Check recent and UNCONFIRMED bugs, reproduce, check for duplicates
and figure out step-by-step instructions (as well as special
circumstances like graphic card drivers)
- Flag bugs so they can easily be sorted into components. This is
especially necessary for new features like tiling or window tabbing
which don't have components yet.

I've also been thinking about providing a LiveDVD so people
(non-developers) don't have to learn how to build trunk first. It's
currently up on SUSEStudio containing much of KDE and debug packages.
The main problem will probably be allowing the user to install
additional drivers (eg. NVIDIA) while the system is running, I have no
clue if this can be handled yet. If anyone is interested in getting
this running, please contact me on IRC so we can figure out how to
share the SUSEStudio appliance.

Regards,
Michael