[Bugsquad] Re: KWin BugDay

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Sun Oct 3 10:18:15 CEST 2010

Javier Llorente wrote:
> On Miércoles, 22 de Septiembre de 2010 18:49:46 Michael Leupold escribió:
>> Javier Llorente wrote:
>> > I am not an expert but I can help writing the announcement (well it's
>> > 99% done), making a bug squash report and of course squashing some bugs
>> > ;-)
>>
>> Almost forgot about answering to this part:
>> Great! If you need anyone to read through the announcement, just contact
>> me with details. Also if you'd like to double check, Martin (mgraesslin)
>> should be around on IRC most of the time so he can make sure the facts
>> are straight. Hitting the dot this weekend or the week after would be
>> awesome, so we'd still have time to have little reminder follow-up
>> blogposts.
>>
>> Given the buzz around KWin regarding driver-/stack-bugs this might make a
>> good impression and indeed give BugSquad the publicity needed as well.
>> Now let's all pray the Live images turn out good :-)
>
> Here's the first draft :-)
>
> KWin Bug Day (date)
> Due to the latest influx of bugs it's getting harder and harder for Martin
> Grässlin to keep up. Let's help him out by squashing some bugs!
>
> You don't need to have any special skills. The most important thing is
> that you’re interested in helping us to clean the bug list so developers
> can focus on fixing the bugs!
>
> The BugDay consist of 3 goals:
> - Check for old KWin bugs reproducability (KDE3 and early KDE4)
> - Check recent and UNCONFIRMED bugs, reproduce, check for duplicates
> and figure out step-by-step instructions (as well as special circumstances
> like graphic card drivers)
> - Flag bugs so they can easily be sorted into components. This is
> especially necessary for new features like tiling or window tabbing
> which don't have components yet.
>
> <some urls with more info on bug squashing; kde wiki, bugzilla, ...>
>
> So let's make KWin a bit better!
> Join us in the  #kde-bugs IRC channel on Freenode.

Great, I like it. Two things I'd change:
- make the 3 goals a bit shorter (eg. remove the "especially necessary..."
part and the "(as well as...)" part, so we don't get too technical.
- Readd time and date for the last sentence: "Join us in the #kde-bugs IRC
channel on FreeNode, Sunday 10th 2010 starting 11:00 AM UTC"

(feel free to ignore or improve what I put :)).

Preliminary BugDay page on techbase:
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad/BugDays/KWinDay1

A primer to why triaging bugs is good:
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad/Guide

I'd add both links to the announcement. Especially the triage introduction
one is good as it's not long enough to seriously scare people off :) After
finishing, could you please push the article on the dot and push people on
#kde-promo so it gets up there quickly? (afaik introducing html paragraphs
accelerates the process as well :)).

Unfortunately I'll be really really low on time next week. I'll try to
prepare everything as good as possible, help would be appreciated though.

Thanks and kind regards,
Michael