[Bugsquad] KMail 2 and bug reporting

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sat Jan 23 21:56:04 CET 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 15:47:53 Darío Andrés wrote:
> [...]
> > adding one.
> > If a bug in the old kmail1 components gets confirmed for KMail 2 as well,
> > it should be moved to the appropriate KMail 2 component, otherwise old
> > bugs stay in the kmail1 components.
>
> I think there is a problem with this.... I'm going to detail it later..
>
> > Many parts of the former KMail 1 are now split out into different
> > libraries. There is the "Akonadi" product, which has all bugs related to
> > the storage layer. Additionally, I have created the product "kdepim",
> > which contains all libraries that live in kdepim, which are: libkdepim,
> > libkleo, libkpgp, messageviewer, messagelist, messagecore,
> > messagecomposer and messagetemplates.
> >
> > Additionally, we still have the "kdepimlibs" product for bugs in
> > kdepimlibs.
>
> Yes, I was aware of such "subproducts" and I always included them on
> my bugzilla queries.
> I see that the "libkdepim" bugzilla product was removed, that's ok to
> avoid duplication. Thanks!
>
> > Now, as a user, one generally does not know in which of those products
> > and components a KMail bug really is. If the product or component is not
> > known, the bug should first be filed under kmail/general. Therefore it is
> > the responsibility of the developers to move to bug to the correct
> > product and component. For some bugs that should be pretty clear, it
> > would be great if the bug squad can help there.
> >
> > KMail 2 bugs should be reported with the appropriate version number,
> > which is
> >
> >>= 1.99.
> >
> > Now, one problem is that incoming bug reports could be filed under the
> > wrong version, for example KMail 2 bugs are reported under kmail1
> > components, or KMail 1 bugs are reported under KMail 2 components.
> > It would be nice if the bug squad could help here and correct those
> > wrongly filed bug reports. Mostly I expect this to happen for bugs that
> > are reported against the default component. Maybe it makes sense to
> > redirect the default component to kmail1-general, if that isn't the
> > default component right now, at least until most bugs are reported
> > against KMail 2.
>
> The problems I see with the "current approach" are:
> * Both KDE SC4.3 and SC4.4 use KMail1, so we still have ~1 more year
> of incoming bug reports for the "old KMail" version. (until SC 4.5
> goes mainstream)
> * The default bugzilla component for each product is "general" (and
> this, combined with the previous item, is going to generate some
> additional work as users mostly never choose the right component. We
> are going to need to reassign every kmail report to the "kmail1-*"
> components)
> * DrKonqi reports crashes to "kmail/general" (I can still change it
> for KDE SC4.4...; but I can't for 4.3 (may be for 4.3.5...?))
>
> I don't know if there is a way to set the "default component" to
> "Kmail1-general" (mattr?). If this can be done, then it will be

This can be done, in the wizard at least. We already have specific hacks in
the wizard to display messages for Konqueror and KHTML, so I don't see why I
can't make it do something else for kmail.

Please file a report against the bugs.kde.org product so that the work to be
done for this can be tracked.