[Bugsquad] KMail 2 and bug reporting

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Jan 19 00:41:46 CET 2010

Hi,

After some discussion, we decided to have a separate product for KMail 2, to
avoid the mess that would have happened when mixing the two.

So the rule is simple now: KMail 2 bugs should go to the "KMail 2" product,
and KMail 1 bugs should go to the "kmail" product.

Once a bug in the "kmail" product is confirmed to be valid for KMail 2, it
should be moved to the "KMail 2" product (or the appropriate product like
Akonadi, kdepim or kdepimlibs).

DrKonqi in trunk will take care to automatically report bugs to the "KMail 2"
product, while the old DrKonqi's in KDE SC <= 4.4.x will report bugs to the
"kmail" product, which is quite nice :)

As an addition, we have two special components in KMail 2 now: "general" and
"misc". "general" is the place for new incoming bugs that have no classified
component or product yet. I expect about half of the incoming bugs to be moved
to other products, like Akonadi, kdepim or kdepimlibs. "misc" is the place for
bugs that are KMail bugs, but don't have any better component.
So "general" is really only for bugs where we haven't decided the
product/component yet. This gives us a nice separation between unclassified
and misc bugs.

Regards,
Thomas