[Bugsquad] KMail 2 and bug reporting

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Jan 18 17:47:23 CET 2010

Hi,

(please hit reply all so that everyone is included in the reply)

as you might know, KMail 2 was just merged back from the akonadi-ports branch
to trunk in KDE SVN.

KMail 2 is almost a completely new product: A big share of the old KMail 1
bugs are either not valid anymore or are now bugs for a different product,
like Akonadi or kdepimlibs/kmime. Because of this, I think it is best to have
a clean start for the bug tracking in KMail 2.

To support this, I have renamed all existing KMail components in the
bugtracker to kmail1-<componentname>. All KMail 1 bugs should be in one of
those components.
I also have created some new components for KMail, which shall be used for
KMail 2 bugs only:
commands and actions, composer, config dialog, folders, general, sieve, UI.
I don't know if those are enough components, if not, please suggest adding
one.
If a bug in the old kmail1 components gets confirmed for KMail 2 as well, it
should be moved to the appropriate KMail 2 component, otherwise old bugs stay
in the kmail1 components.

Many parts of the former KMail 1 are now split out into different libraries.
There is the "Akonadi" product, which has all bugs related to the storage
layer. Additionally, I have created the product "kdepim", which contains all
libraries that live in kdepim, which are: libkdepim, libkleo, libkpgp,
messageviewer, messagelist, messagecore, messagecomposer and messagetemplates.

Additionally, we still have the "kdepimlibs" product for bugs in kdepimlibs.

Now, as a user, one generally does not know in which of those products and
components a KMail bug really is. If the product or component is not known,
the bug should first be filed under kmail/general. Therefore it is the
responsibility of the developers to move to bug to the correct product and
component. For some bugs that should be pretty clear, it would be great if the
bug squad can help there.

KMail 2 bugs should be reported with the appropriate version number, which is
>= 1.99.

Now, one problem is that incoming bug reports could be filed under the wrong
version, for example KMail 2 bugs are reported under kmail1 components, or
KMail 1 bugs are reported under KMail 2 components.
It would be nice if the bug squad could help here and correct those wrongly
filed bug reports. Mostly I expect this to happen for bugs that are reported
against the default component. Maybe it makes sense to redirect the default
component to kmail1-general, if that isn't the default component right now, at
least until most bugs are reported against KMail 2.

Feedback or questions appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas