[Bugsquad] DrKonqi meeting/brainstorming at Akademy2009 at GCDS

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 00:47:01 CEST 2009

Hi everyone!

As we already commented both on this ML and on Planet :
http://blauzahl.livejournal.com/18023.html , we are going to have a
DrKonqi meeting to discuss the future of the application. I don't know
yet where nor when it is going to be, but we are going to discuss the
details later.

See you there :)

Just to remember the topics (or if I died before getting to Akademy),
this is my current brainstorming list:

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

DrKonqi Brainstorming

UI:
------

- Option to Attach the new crash information to an existing report
(check username and backtraces?
to avoid mixed reports)

- Add "Compiled by source" checkbox ??

- If lsb_release is not found or there is no output. show a "Operating
System/Distribution" combobox
("Your distribution could not be guessed, please select it from the combobox")

- Remove keywords step and only use backtrace functions to do the
duplicate search

- Dialogs -> Non-modal

- Improve DuplicatesPage dialog: what if you want to pick more than
one possibly duplicate?
List of possible related/duplicates

- Ask for saving the report information to file when exiting the
report assistant without reporting
(Currently there are too much question messageboxes)

- Store "willing to help developers" option value for future DrKonqi
usages? (blauzahl)

- Option to "don't show drkonqi for this(X) app"
- Option  to "Auto-restart this application every time it crashes
after 10(?) seconds" enabled/disabled (by sreich)
(KTorrent crashes, user: "I don't care, I want it to download my
movies right now!!")

- Option to avoid drkonqi at all (setting KDE_DEBUG=1), and GUI to renable it

- Can reproduce? option (bah.. needs discussion)

- Simplify the rating UI ("stars are childish" by Maciej)

- Display the time of the crash
("oh, I came back to the computer some time later and drkonqi was there..
when the application crashed? during the night?") (by sreich)

- Usability review and suggestions:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/09/01/54734.aspx (by Maciej)

Core:
------

- Custom usefulness values needed by application (ex. Amarok wants
only perfect backtraces...)

- Check for plugins ? (example, if plasma crashes, which libs were
loaded, which lib caused the crash)
This is useful to determine if some external plugin is involved
(I don't know if this is technically possible)

- Online BKO<->App mapping (bug mattr..)

- Guess debug symbols packages ? (using lsb_release info and some
packages naming magic)

- Auto-install debug symbols (KPackageKit)

- Application detection: ask for or detect specific things depending
on application
   ie konqueror: url, plasma: plasmoids in use, kopete: protocol, etc.

- Use custom app-groups for searching duplicates
Example: if kontact crashes, look on kontact/kmail/kaddressbook/kdepimlibs/...
QStringList ProductMapping::relatedBugzillaProducts() { ... }

- Extract other information from the crashed process?
Files opened by it / libs using
Some mem usage?

Debug purposes:

- Add backtrace rating at the bottom of the report
- Add "user is willing to help"" message to the bottom of the report
(or the negative "user do not want to be contacted")