[Bugsquad] New Bug Reporting Tool needs wider testing

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:40:54 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you go to bugstest.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided then you'll
> able to see (after picking a product, of course) what the new bug
> reporting tool is going to look like.
>
> Please give it a test, and provide any feedback that you can. Did I miss
> something? Did it not work right, etc?
>
> I'm hoping to have the thing finalized around Christmas time, but it
> needs a few more eyes looking at it.
>
> Please CC me on any replies, I'm not subscribed.

Hi Matt: first of all: nice work!
I like the new layout and how you show the "most duplicated reports"
(too bad it doesn't work on bugstest because the DB is old)
I also like the bad/good examples.. specially the one about "konqueror
sucks"... we should encourage the user to not write shit nor insults

Some nitpicks and minor improvements I could mention:

- In the manual duplicates search (keywords lineedit), I wasn't really
expecting to see the search results in the iframe above the keyword
input itself.. (I was expecting a new window to be opened).
  I prefer that user doesn't need to change the page to check the
search results, but looking above wasn't really intuitive.. may be the
keywords input should appear on top (but if we do that we need to
modify the workflow or something...)
  It could be discussed

- In the manual duplicate search, it seems that the results are shown
with plain HTML (I guess this is caused because you are stripping the
header/sidebar or fetching the buglist with a special format) (This is
a really a small nitpick.....)

- The help for keywords may include some more accurate examples ("copy
paste" will generate too much results I think :) ) (may be some
examples like "kmail composer copy paste", "plasma notes big font" ).
You could also use the "Bad/Good example (with red and green; I really
like that)

- About the component select, should a small text added saying "If you
don't know what to choose, leave "general" " , or something like that
?

- About the app and KDE versions, may be it is the time to add some
link to "Which version am I using?" (may be to a techbase page or
someplace where we explain the users how to check their versions...
("Help.. About KDE" or "kde4-config --version" ....))

- Software distribution method could also get some minor help like
("What is your operating system or GNU/Linux distribution")

- Reproducibility's default should be "haven't tried to reproduce it"
(I think) as this is the common case... we could also add some help or
a link saying *why is it important for the bug to be reproducible" and
briefly explaining how to proceed.

- Could "Steps to reproduce" appear only if the reproducibility option
is "sometimes"/"always" ... (using JS?)

- Should the page have a main title "Enter new bug report form" (or
whatever text you prefer), to be above "Step 1/3 ..." (mh, it seems
that is already included below the KDE logo.. I'm used to the
"classic" bugzilla style")

Sorry about so much tiny complains, but I think if we are going to
improve the things we could also implement some other little things to
*make it perfect*

Hope it helps
I'm going to analyze it a bit more and try to get more feedback

Thanks!

Cheers
Darío A.