[Appeal] Appeal & Tango: Care to Dance?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 04:22:12 CEST 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 14:30, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> 1) Finalize and implement the naming spec.

agreed.

> 2) Implement an icon switching mechanism in both desktops, so that
> the specific desktop uses its icons also in "other-desktop" apps.

we already have this.

> 3) Define common metaphors and other general rules for use in icons
> per the naming spec given above.

this would be cool, and should probably be part of the same spec IMHO. no
point in having this information spread out all over the palce right?

> 4) Encourage communities to use this platform to their advantage
> through vendor contribution and cooperation (ie. implement this on a
> broad scale).

agreed.

> 5) Plan for the future...create a cross-desktop interface switching
> mechanism for both desktops so that a Gnome file dialog opened in KDE
> functions like other KDE apps and vice versa.

we're quite a ways off from this. RUDI is an important first step, but there's
more to be done. i'd suggest revisiting this when we have kde4 out because
that's when we'll be able to discuss these things much more clearly.

> I am afraid that this issue (on both sides) would be too much for
> this to happen any time in the near future.

yep.

--
Aaron J. Seigo