[Appeal] Appeal icon theme

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 5 03:23:02 CEST 2005

> Ok, appeal icon theme is the temporary name, any suggestion for a cool
> name? I thinked to "Oksigen" ... what do you think?

i like the name, but then i liked gestalt for klink to ;P

seriously though, the name has some very nice connotations: airy, required for
life, freshness, vitality... yeah... is there any reason not to just call it
Oxygen, besides the fact that "oxygen" has no 'k's in it? ;);)

> Here there is a preview, it's looking good in konqui, but I suggest to
> go with 64x64 icons as default.

yes, 64px at a minimum. in the content browser, i'm going to push for 128px
icons for a few reasons:

        informaton density is lower
        it allows us to overlay a simple interface on the icon on mouse over

btw, this is the sort of the thread that should probably happen on the public
list =) David, if you want to move it there, please do so (i don't want to be
presumptuous and do it myself =)

> I'll soon send an application icon and actions cuz I want to follow
> the Aaron suggestion to have icons that you can anderstand immediatly
> if it is filemanager-icon, application-icon, toolbar-icon or an
> Action.

files, applications, actions .. are there any other important divisions to be
made? the current icon themes have the following groupings (going from the
"Select Icon" dialog) and how they map to the three categories David
mentioned:

        Actions (Actions)
        Applications (Applications)
        Devices (Filemanager)
        Filesystem (Filemanager)
        Mimetypes (Filemanager)

perhaps we should look at a distinction for "icons representing things in the
real world". this would be disks, printers, etc... in other words, all the
things currently in the Devices icon category. which would bring the
distinctions to being:

        Actions (menus, toolbars)
        Applications
        Physical Items (devices)
        Files, Documents and Information (folders, mimetypes, bookmarks..)

the "rules" are what would remain to be defined. for physical items, i'd
recommend "photorealistic" icons. many of our current Device icons already
get close, such as the hdd_* and usbpen* icons. the rational is that this
gives an immediate cue to the user that these are "real" things (versus the
abstractions/metaphores the rest of the icons represent) and creates an easy
to make distinction artistically between these and the other icons.

this is all from a use perspective, not an art perspective though. so i could
be suggesting something that will cause wretching and heaving from the
artists ;);)

> http://www.icon-king.com/appeal/preview.png

as a non-artist, i _really_ like the directon this is going. wow! =)))

--
Aaron J. Seigo