is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Sep 7 16:14:10 BST 2018

Hi Salamadir,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 18:40, salamandir <salamandir at hybridelephant.com>
wrote:

> i'm using kubuntu trusty (14.04.1), and i don't know what version of
> amarok i'm using, because it won't start.
>

> basically, when i click on the icon, it comes up already minimised to the
> systray, and when i try to activate it from the systray, it draws about a
> quarter of the screen and then hangs up, and crashes after a minute or so.
> if i try to restart it, it comes up minimised, and when i try to activate
> it, it draws about a quarter of the screen, and then crashes immediately.

Your version (2.8.0) is relatively old, so is your distribution. Despite
that, if Amarok has worked before on this installation, there is no reason
it suddenly stops to work. Did you by change make an update or removed some
packages? This is usually the most likely culprit. Another idea could be
some changed access rights (this involves usually running chown and/or
chmod on the command line) on folders Amarok needs to have access to.

i tried starting it from the terminal, with "amarok --debug", and i got a
> huge pile of text, which i can forward if necessary, but i'm wondering if
> it's due to a known bug, and the solution is to upgrade my OS...

We would only need the exact part of the text where the crash happens,
ideally this should be submitted as a bug report, as a mailinglist is not
exactly the best medium to handle bugs. I can't tell if this is a known bug
without more information.

Best regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org>