Amarok won't play Wiows Media8files

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 11:47:26 UTC 2016

Hi Rodrigo,

sorry for the late answer.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Rodrigo Severo <rodrigo at fabricadeideias.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have Amarok Version 2.8.0 Using KDE 4.14.16 on Xubuntu 16.04.
>
> It can't play Windows Media8 files. It gives a "Windows Media 8 files
> not supported" message.
>
> It's usin gstream 1.0 backend.

You need to make sure to have all the necessary codecs installed for the
gstreamer 1.x library, these are most likely called "bad" and "ugly" or
something in this fashion.

Since we do not cater for the dependencies on Linux distribution, please
address this with your distribution, they tend not to ship patent
encumbered codecs by default, it is up to the user to install those. But
you should also be given the opportunity to easily install the missing
codecs when files do not play. This also means eventually adding additional
repositories, but you really should talk to Debian about this, as I said,
we are not the ones who make the packages.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org>