Editing ID3 Tags to Optimize the Amarok Experience

Donald Chandonnet smile4yourself at poetryfromheaven.com
Tue May 7 02:24:18 UTC 2013

Greetings to everyone,

This is the first time I have posted on this list, and want to thank
everyone for their contributions to this wonderful application.

I am relatively new with Amarok and Kubuntu (2-3 yrs) so am definitely on
the learning curve. I am currently focused on learning how to use Amarok,
and will likely write a document on how to use it, if not for others, at
least for me. :-)

I keep track of my Kubuntu notes in my blog
<http://kubuntufun.blogspot.ca/>(so I can easily find what I learned).

I recently discovered how important it was to have ID3 tags set properly in
one's music library, and found that once they were set up, the organization
and general experience of Amarok improved 200%

I read the documentation, but there it read like a "feature" rather than a
requirement. It truly is a requirement to enjoy the wonderful experience
Amarok can provide.

I tried editing the tags and testing them on what Amarok would do, and
found that the "artist" tag was mostly used by the Wikipedia Applet.

I could not find any information about the scripts used by the Wikipedia
Applet or if they were editable. Documentation said that the "album artist"
tag was used, but I could nor confirm that in my tests. Likewise,
"composer" tag is supported, but I could not see what it did in Amarok. If
I wanted the Composer information page to appear, I had to put the composer
name in the "artist" ID3 tag

see my notes here<http://kubuntufun.blogspot.ca/2013/05/amarok-id3-tags.html>

If you have knowledge of how the ID3 tags map back to the Applet scripts &
how I can find information about editing the applets;
are they simple scripts? Are users expected to edit them? How easy is it to
make a "Composer Applet" to read the Composer ID3 tag info and display the
Wiki page?

Donald

hugs to everyone