Amarok 2.8.0 fatal error at first launch.

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Dec 25 12:43:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I downloaded and installed amarok 2.9.0 (x86 for windows) - as
>> > Administrator.
>> > After installation, I logged out and logged
>> > back in as unprivileged user and started amarok.
>> > I got an error banner saying:
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Amarok could not find any collection plugins. It is possible that Amarok
>> > is
>> > installed under the wrong prefix, please fix your installation using:
>> >
>> > $ cd /path/to/amarok/source-code/
>> > $ su -c "make uninstall"
>> > $ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` && su -c "make
>> > install"
>> >
>> > $ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>> > $ amarok
>> >
>> > More information can be found in the README file. For further assistance
>> > join us at #amarok on irc.freenode.net.
>> >

>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Clicked OK on the error banner and Amarok exited.
>> >
>> > However, when I launched it subsequently several times, it no longer
>> > displayed this error banner.
>>
>> First of all: from where did you download it and what instructions did
>> you follow to install it?
>>
>> Then: does it start now, or is just the message missing?
>>
>> Please be more precise in your questions, as you refer to Amarok
>> 2.9.0, which clearly doesn't exist.
>>

>> Regards, Myriam
>> -
>

> Oooops!
> My bad - I am not the best typist :)
> I meant 2.8.0 (which I understand is still in Beta).

Absolutely not, if it were beta it would be in the name, The final
release was in August, the Beta ran in July

> I downloaded it from amarok.kde.org website.
>
> 1 Dedicated Amarok installer
>
> However, there are no instructions, per se'.
> Perhaps you could point them out.
> On the web page
> http://community.kde.org/Amarok/GettingStarted
> there are no installation instructions. It mentions
> (and links to) dependencies.
> The dedicated installer package is supposed to include
> all dependencies.

Well, you said you installed it in administrator mode. I don't know
what that exactly means under Windows (there was no such mode when I
last used it to install something), but normally just running the
installer as a simple user should be enough, it is self-explaining.
>From the error you got this was probably the problem, as it didn't
find all the plugins because those were not installed  in your
user-space.

> Finally, it does run OK after the first fatal launch.
> But I have not tested all of it's features.

OK, then the problem is solved for now it seems :)

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)Hi JD,