I want my reliable laptop based Amarok jukebox back

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 17:58:04 UTC 2013

On Samstag, 10. August 2013 17:51:49 CEST, Alan Ezust wrote:

> I wish Pulse was more reliable, because without it, I can't share my
> digital soundcard between amarok and other apps such as VLC or my browser.
> Using Alsa, Amarok takes over that device and other apps must use my analog
> output.

Hummm?
Aside there's dmix, the Card should have a hardware mixer (at least google suggested that - i frankly don't know about driver support, though)

"Amarok takes over that device" sounds as if you had loaded the oss module and Amarok/Phonon - ultimately vlc or gstreamer - would for some strange reason use dsp instead snd.

I'd check the loaded kernel modules and the phonon setup in this regard.

Cheers,
Thomas