I want my reliable laptop based Amarok jukebox back

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Aug 8 13:08:17 UTC 2013

Using phonon-backends mailing list as I didn´t found any user related phonon
mailing list, if people who can help with phonon are subscribed to Amarok
mailing list, feel free to drop phonon-backends mailing list from Cc.

Hi!

Once upon a time I had a ThinkPad T23 with KDE 3 and Amarok 1.4, first without,
then with Sonica Theater USB 1.1 sound card. And it just played music.
Reliable, even after some kernel scheduler improvements I tested for Ingo
Molnar without any glitches even when I moved around windows or did whatever
on that box. It just played and the world was good. There have been issues
once in a while, but generally it just worked. Also sound worked just nicely
after hibernation. For the USB sound card for a time I had to unload usb sound
module from kernel before hibernation and load it again (with TuxOnIce and
hibernate script back then).

Then I switched to KDE 4.2 and Amarok 2 and Phonon. And since then I cannot
remember to have had this "it just works" reliability that I had with KDE 3
and Amarok 1.4 without Phonon.

I know a rant could start this way – and well to some extent I admit this is a
rant –, but I will try not to accuse anyone, I am just at the point where I
realize: I can give Linux Performance training, I can build a kernel from git,
test changes, build Debian packages and whatnot. But I can´t seem to make my
Amarok jukebox setup reliable. I do not know in which layer to look. I do not
know much about meaningful debugging. All I can do right now is to try this
and that and this without any actual clue and hope it helps. So I reach out
for help.

I do this on list, until I have any means to provide meaningful bug reports. I
think I deal with several bugs. I am willing to work from this, there may be
days of inactivity in between, due to real life stuff taking precendence, but I
am willing to invest some time and energy once again, *if* there is a
reasonable chance to get back reliably working system.

I am even willing to replace hardware. If a ThinkPad or netbookt with Intel HD
audio provides a similar sound quality to that USB sound card, I´d buy one and
ditch the USB sound card. If a USB 2 based sound card is likely to work
better, I´d buy one. I do not insist on the exact hardware, a ThinkPad T6x
with Intel HD Audio costs less than 200 Euro used, so what gives.

But I do like to get to a reliably working setup within a *reasonable* amount
of time. Heck, it just needs to play music. My CD player does it, my Rockbox
based Sansa e260v1 does it. It can´t be that difficult. And I like to keep
Amarok. I am used to it, its a decent player software, it gets song texts,
wikipedia and well has a nice GUI. I like to continue using it.

My basic requirements are:

- If I press play it plays sound. No discussions, no errors. Just play sound.
As my CD player does. I play music mostly for recreational purposes so I am
not willing to fiddle with things on a regular basis just to have it play my
music. I am not willing to *fight* with my Amarok music jukebox to make it
behave.

- If playing sound, play sound *fluently*. No dropouts, no hangs, no
interference noise. Just play.

- On hibernating stop sound, on resuming continue playing where you stopped.
Or well if not continuing right away, let me continue with pressing play
again. For the time being, I´d even press stop before hibernation and play
after it.

- I want to have Amarok running for days and weeks with hibernation cycles in
between. I don´t want it to crash after resuming or something like that.

Current setup is: ThinkPad T42 with Pentium M 1.8 GHz which should be plenty
to play MP3, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC in decent quality. I do have the Sonica
Theater USB sound card, cause at least with the ThinkPad T23 where I was able
to hear harddisk sounds in the internal audio output the sound quality was
just so much better with that USB sound card. Its a USB 1.1 standard 7.1 sound
capable soundcard, but I just use stereo, no 7.1 sound which might overload
USB 1.1 bus. I use a old, good quality Kenwood receiver.

Software wise I use Debian Sid with KDE SC 4.10.5 and Amarok 2.7.1-1 and
phonon 4.6.0.0-3 with phonon-backend-vlc 0.6.2-2 with ALSA. I didn´t use
gstreamer as it skipped tracks and whatnot. I do not remember exactly what all
happened with it, but it didn´t work for me. Kernel is 3.10-1-686-pae from
official experimental debian package.

I do not use Pulseaudio 4 right now cause it still does not detect the USB
sound card at all times, spamming logs with "usb_set_interface_failed"
messages. I reported this once, Lennart even answered me back to my bug report
and I admit I did not follow up then, cause what he asked me to do would have
take some time to do and it was not the only bug with PulseAudio back then. I
was just so annoyed by PulseAudio back then that I apt-get purge´d it. I would
be willing to follow-up with this, as it seems that Pulseaudio 4 is the first
Pulseaudio *ever* that is able to play *fluent* sound on the ThinkPad T42. With
Pulseaudio 3 still I had sound drops longer than 20 seconds (this is *no*
joke).

.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc has:

[AudioDevice_/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/sound/card1/
pcmC1D0c:capture]
cardName=Sonica Theater (USB Audio)
deleted=false
deviceNumber=0
hotpluggable=true
iconName=audio-card
index=-8
initialPreference=36
isAdvanced=false

It has similar entries for this sound card at least a dozen of times, one of
it must be the sound card at the top of the device list in phonon kcm.

A snippet of lsusb, I can attach or pastebin completely output somewhere.

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0763:2007 Midiman M-Audio Sonica Theater
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0763 Midiman
  idProduct          0x2007 M-Audio Sonica Theater
  bcdDevice            1.01
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1

Current symptoms:

- If I stop playback manually before hibernating and start it after
hibernating Amarok seems to play sound but I cannot hear anything. If I then
press stop Amarok crashes. In Systemsettings audio test I can play back sound.
I will install debug packages and see whether I get get a meaningful
backtrace.

- Although playback seems to be quite fluent recently, I still have casual
dropouts for some reconds. On the ThinkPad T23 I had more dropouts than I now
have on the ThinkPad T42, but heck the hardware is certainly able to play back
some audio, isn´t it? My Amiga 4000 played MP3 it with a 50 MHz 68060, the
Rockbox based Sansa can do it even with Ogg Vorbis, so…

- Sometimes a loud annoying noise is in the audio. I had this today while
taking a bath. I jumped up to run into the living room to lower the volume as
it was not something I´d like to expose to my neighbours for longer than
necessary (USB sound driver issue?). If I unplug USB sound card and plug it
back in again, it works again.

So how to proceed? I am especially interested in:

What is working for you?

I highly suspect that its working for a lot of people. So what is different
with your setup?

Does anybody have a laptop with Amarok on top of his/her Hi-Fi equipment to
play music, and hibernates and resumes it just fine and all is working? Then I
would greatly appreciate a detailed description of the setup.

Any hints on where to start debugging?

Any hints on a best practice setup?

VLC or gstreamer?

Pulseaudio or not? I´d prefer to first get a stable setup *without* Pulseaudio
to have one layer less to debug, but I am also willing to test out Pulseaudio
again, especially as with 4.0 at least the unbearing latency, music dropouts
issues have gone. (With VLC and Pulseaudio on this Sandybridge Dual core based
ThinkPad T520 audio playback on playing a DVD start 5-10 seconds after the
video playback has started. Without Pulseaudio it started *immediately*. On a
*Sandybridge* based laptop. There is no hardware reason for that – the
hardware is certainly capable, heck it can encode MP3 as fast as the audio CD
grabber delivers it. This again is no joke.)

USB sound card or not?

What versions of everything?

Actually I think thats already too many questions. Why do I even have to
decide on this? I wouldn´t like to explain something like this to my father or
any other casual computer user.

IMHO this complexity is a huge mess, unless there is a default that will just
work. Layers upon layers upon layers. Configuration choices over configuration
choices.

I just want a jukebox and I want it to work. What are the magic ingredients?
What is known to work?

Thanks,