Radio GFM integration in Amarok by default

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Sat Apr 6 10:31:46 UTC 2013

On 5. 4. 2013 Marco Peter wrote:
> Dear Amarok developers,
>
> This is Marco from Switzerland. I'm member of the music editorial staff
> of the non-commercial german web-radio project called „Radio GFM“.

Hi Marco!

> Radio GFM plays „GEMA-FREIE MUSIK“ which means that we do only play
> music which is released under a free creative commons license.
>
> The Radio GFM project have three different radio stations which can be
> listened in a MP3 stream. We add new music from international artists to
> our streams weekly and also we do pre-listen the music we add carefully.

Cool.

> Since 2012 all of our streams are available in Ogg Vorbis as well:
> Radio GFM - RockPop | http://streams.radio-gfm.net/rockpop.ogg.m3u
> Radio GFM - Electro | http://streams.radio-gfm.net/electro.ogg.m3u
> Radio GFM - Metal | http://streams.radio-gfm.net/metal.ogg.m3u
>
> We would like to ask you, if you could integrate our radio stations into
> Amarok by default to spread Creative Commons music.

We'd love to see Radio GFM working in Amarok. The only sensible way to do it
is creating so-called scripted service for it, fortunately for you, it is hell
easy if you know a bit of JavaScript (your website creator certainly does)!

Please see http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development#Scripting for some
friendly documentation on scripting in Amarok, I also suggest you have a look
at soma.fm script [1] and use it as a basis for your radio (notice it is just
about 100 lines of code in one file).

Once you have the script working internally, it is time to distribute it.
Uploading it to kde-apps.org category Multimedia->Amarok 2.0 Scripts [2] makes
it available directly inside Amarok -> Config -> Scripts -> Manage Scripts.

I think we can bundle it with Amarok too, as you suggest, provided that you'll
maintain it and other devs won't object it. However, getting it to kde-
apps.org should have a priority, as it makes the radio available for users of
all Amarok versions, not just the future ones.

Cheers,
		Matěj

[1] http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/SomaFM+Radio+Streams?content=99224
[2] http://kde-apps.org/index.php?xcontentmode=57