GSoC project presentation: Statistics synchronization for collections and Last.fm

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Sat May 19 19:56:32 UTC 2012

Hi Amarok developers and users,
this is my overdue presentation of my accepted GSoC project [1]. Many of you
already know me, I'm Matěj Laitl a.k.a. strohel on IRC, I live in Czech
Republic very close to the beautiful city of Prague (that you should definitely
visit one day). I've rewritten iPod collection plugin and I've been working on
transcode support and general bugfixing lately.

My GSoC project is called Statistics synchronization for pluggable devices and
Last.fm, you can read all the details including proposed implementation and
time-line on project page [1]. My mentor is Myriam Schweingruber a.k.a.
Mamarok.

In short:
 * In the first part, I will implement inter-collection statistics
synchronization. I will strive to merge this to master as soon as it is ready,
this should be in first weeks of July.
 * In the second part, I'll put existing last.fm scrobbling support behind an
abstraction layer and then implement statistics synchronization with
scrobbling services on top of this layer.
 * the code will be publicly available on [2] in branches named gsoc or
similar; I encourage you to test these, but please note that I will `git
rebase` these branches rather often so you may get git errors when pulling
 * general code cleanups and bug-fixes will go directly to master as no one
opposed that suggestion.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, I've already received some suggestions
(from ownCloud-related people) and an offer to test my work, which is good, but
I'll gladly embrace more.

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/strohel/15001
[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Famarok%2Flaitl%2Famarok.git&a=summary

Cheers,