No sound anymore, fedora 15

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue May 15 00:45:46 UTC 2012

Hi Carine,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Carine Simon <csimon at utm.csic.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since recently, I was using Amarok regularly and with pleasure but now, the
> sound does not work any more. I am on Fedora 15 64 bits, kernel 2.6.42.7,
> and Amarok 1.4.1.

Amarok 1.4.1 is extremely old (it was released in July 2006!) and
totally outdated, I assume you mean 2.4.1? The current version is
Amarok 2.5.0. I strongly suggest you upgrade your version to the
latest available in Fedora.

Since Amarok doesn't handle sound itself but lets Phonon do that you
should check your underlying sound configuration, mainly Pulseaudio
which IIRC is the default installation on Fedora. Also please make
sure you use a recent phonon backend, either the
phonon-backend-gstreamer (4.6.0 is the latest version) or the
phonon-backend-vlc (current is 0.5.0 ). All other backends are
currently unmaintained and obsolete.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org