Amarok 2.5: Collection empty after crash

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Mar 29 14:47:34 UTC 2012

Hi!

I wanted to send this as bug report, but as on trying to get diagnostic
information it suddenly worked again, I just write a mail to here for now:

I had this before, although it has been quite some time. Instead of just
deleting the whole database and starting from scratch without
understanding what has happened, I now want to understand whats going on
here.

On my Amarok machine, a ThinkPad T23, with Debian Wheezy/Sid, I just
upgraded from KDE SC 4.6.5 to 4.7.4. Then I rebooted and started Amarok
again.

It played some tracks and then music stopped. As I looked Amarok was
stopped. I thought it might have crashed.

I started it again:

- collection was empty, except for Amarok theme Art of Nations
- playlist was empty

I tried to update the collection database. Then I went to
Settings/Collection and told it to scan the collection again.

Nothing.

Thats it. What has happened?

IMHO thats absolutely a no-go. I just removed Pulseaudio from that machine
some weeks ago, cause when I resume this machine I want it to play audio -
instead of it spilling usb_set_interface_failed onto kernel log or not
initializing all channels properly or doing audio stuttering where it
doesn´t without and so on, but thats a different rant.

I expect my Amarok machine to play when I resume it. Just like when I
switch on my CD player. And thats it. No discussion.

Well some diagnostics:

martin at deepdance:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "(amarok|libqtgui4|kde-
runtime)"
amarok/wheezy uptodate 2.5.0-1
amarok-common/wheezy uptodate 2.5.0-1
amarok-utils/wheezy uptodate 2.5.0-1
kde-runtime/wheezy uptodate 4:4.7.4-2
kde-runtime-data/wheezy uptodate 4:4.7.4-2
libqtgui4/wheezy uptodate 4:4.7.4-2

martin at deepdance:share/apps/amarok> ls -lh collection.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 6,3M Mai 13  2009 collection.db

martin at deepdance:share/apps/amarok> ls -l mysqle
insgesamt 0
drwx------ 1 martin martin 2040 Okt  9 14:09 amarok
drwx------ 1 martin martin   12 Mai 13  2009 mysql

amarok database contains lots of *.frm, *.MYD and *.MYI files.

martin at deepdance:share/apps/amarok> find -iname "*lock*" | grep -v moods
martin at deepdance:share/apps/amarok#1>

Hmmm, now I cleaned .xsession-errors with truncate -s0 and started

amarok --debug

But then at least the collection is there again.

Playlist is still gone.

Well, sorry, it seems thats it with diagnostic information. Next time I
copy .xsession-errors aside before truncating it to get just the new stuff
in it.

I think that recovery after a Amarok crash or whyever Amarok stopped
played and was stopped then, should be automatic in all cases. Well
ideally Amarok wouldn´t crash.

Maybe the issue is, that after a full rescan the collection view is not
updated and one has to stop and start Amarok to get it updated.

But then a full rescan shouldn´t be necessary. The recovery should be
automatic IMHO.

Should it happen again, I think I will backup

~/.kde/share/apps/Amarok
~/.kde/share/config/amarok*

to a safe place before trying any restauration.

Ciao,