Suggestion For Wikipedia Applet in Amarok

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sat Jun 23 15:32:47 UTC 2012

Jayesh Badwaik writes:

> On Saturday 23 Jun 2012 20:11:54 Abhinav Badola wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> > It just occurred to me that the applet that fetches information about
> > the artist and other from Wikipedia can be optimized further.
> >
> > I was playing a song
> > Police - Every Breadth You Take
> >
> > So the applet fetched me the general definition of Police and all, and
> > not about Police, the band.
> >
> > Since, Amarok is primarily a music player and the information fetched
> > should be relevant to music and all, I would like the Wikipedia
> > information fetched to be more optimized.
> > So that it directly fetches a band information, rather than the
> > general information.
> >
> > So can I look forward to this improvement ?
> > I hope it would be more helpful this way.
>
> It generally does fetch the information about the band. For example, in
> my case, it fetches "The Police" band correctly for exactly the same
> song. The difference might be due difference in tags probably.

Same here, but when I change the artist from 'The Police' to 'Police', as
it was for Abhinav, I get a ambiguation page. Using English Wikipedia,
I'd probably also get the general police definition.

Similar problems happen to me frequently, too. Like when I just played
the album 'Zorya' from the artist 'Floex', and surprisingly got the
(English) wiki article about the game Machinarium. But it makes sense,
there just is no 'Floex' article, but this artist is being mentioned in
the Machinarium article, so this is shown. AFAIK Wikipedia has no sort of
meta tags, which could limit searches to stuff like music or
persons/bands, so I do not know about a better solution.

> Use EasyTag or some similar software to get the tags right if they are
> wrong and then probably try again?

One example of similar software would be Amarok itself :)

	Wonko