performance issues with external mysql database

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Mon Jun 4 16:56:29 UTC 2012

On 4. 6. 2012 Alan Ezust wrote:
> At first, I thought my problem was related to how many tracks I had in
> my playlist (6000) or
> database (13000). Now i realize it is probably more related to how
> many tracks I renamed over
> the years.
>
> I still have the "bad" database if anyone wants me to supply any
> measurements on it.
> I suspect there is an operation Amarok should be doing from time to
> time when it rescans the
> database, to remove invalid entries from certain tables to keep them
> nice and small.

Hmm, we try to do that incrementally by never letting the database to get
dirty, but that perhaps fails.

Please switch back to the old db and do the following:
1. Post row counts for some important tables: albums, artist, composers,
devices, directories, genres, labels, statistics, tracks, urls, years along
with _expected_ counts (e.g. tracks, urls, statistics should be number of your
collection tracks, artists number of distinct artists etc.; `find
~/path/to/music -type d` may help with dir count)
2. Enable MySQL Slow Query Log [1] with threshold of 1s and zero
min_examined_row_limit. Post the most offending (slow) queries.

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/slow-query-log.html

Thanks,
			Matěj