[Feedback] DSD Support?

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Wed Sep 28 08:26:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 18:59,  <jl at jps.net> wrote:
> John La Grou sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Will Amarok play DSD ("one bit") format audio files under ASIO?
>
> Re: http://www.rigisystems.net/index.php/usbpalen.html
>
> We're developing a product on which this would be very handy.
>
> Tks,
>
> --

Hi John

I've had to look up DSD to understand what you are asking. I think DSD
playback is seriously out of scope for Amarok, even phonon (the
multimedia playback API) might not have nor need any specific support.
I think it depends on the decoding backend of phonon (gstreamer, VLC,
...) and perhaps lower level middleware (phonon), drivers (alsa) and
hardware (your part ;) ). This situation on linux is pretty complex.

What is within the scope of amarok though is any metadata that the DSF
files might have. I can't tell if taglib supports it. If it does
however, so does Amarok.

Good luck with the hardware development. I've been looking at
rackmounted studio equipment myself lately, so perhaps I'll get in
contact myself one day.

Bart