GSoc and Amarok

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 03:46:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Lucas Lira Gomes <x8lucas8x at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm interested in working for KDE in GSoc(Google Summer of Code) and
> Amarok is one of the applications I use most in my desktop. So, I had a
> look at the ideas that Amarok developers suggests for this year and the
> Project: Self Contained Collection seems to fit most in my current skills,
> but that isn't enough information in the project description about what
> really should be done. I wonder if somebody can give me more information
> about this project.

The aim is that devices like USB drives or n900s are frequently
removed and connected.
When connected I would like Amarok to treat it as a collection. But
since its a temporary device
it doesn't make sense to store persistent collection data like ratings
in the local collection. Rather if it
is stored with the data itself, then it will work on any computer
(which runs a version of Amarok supporting this) and
you can have persistent collection information that seamlessly merges
with Amarok, but is ignored by other players.

Ideally this should work on any writable medium not necessarily a pen
drive (although that is what it will be in 99% of cases) :)
I believe not all the features used by the normal amarok collection
backed by MySQL will work with SQLite, but this and other details
are for you and the mentor to work out. This is what you will do in
the planning stages (and if you want to create a great proposal, you
will do some of that even now).

Amarok is huge and can be a bit daunting, so feel free to ask for help
as Valorie mentioned. Good luck.

Nikhil