Amarok and PulseAudio

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:53:26 UTC 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011 10:16:52 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Anne and sorry for the late reply,
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:39, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > What is the current status of Amarok with regard to PulseAudio?
> >
> > Twice I have persuaded PA to work with my new USB 5.1 system.  Each time
> > Amarok has played two tracks, then part-way through the third one it has
> > crashed taking PA with it.
>
> Could you please make a bug report? We would need a backtrace to
> analyse what is happening.

It's too late to be able to do that - see below.

> > Is there some configuration that I need to change?  Any other hints?

I had a lot of help on IRC and off-list, by two KDE contributors (non-Amarok).
They helped me find where Phonon and PulseAudio were not getting the
information needed, and to set it up.  I've written up what was needed on
UserBase in case anyone else needs to do it. http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-
Performance/External_Sound_Cards.

> You can try changing the Phonon backend you are using, by now the vlc
> backend and the gstreamer backend should work better than the xine
> backend.

At the moment gstreamer seems the best for this purpose.

> In any case, a crash with PulseAudio is more related to Phonon than to
> Amarok, as Amarok is only using the underlying structure.

Thanks for answering.

Anne