Two problems with Amarok: crashing & non-playing

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:31:28 UTC 2011

Hi

As the subject suggests, Amarok continues to give me problems on Debian
testing/ wheezy.

(1) I have to periodically keep removing local files in order to prevent
it from crashing when I launch it, i.e. by removing
~/.kde/share/config/amarok_homerc .  However, after a couple of tries,
Amarok crashes again, which seems to necessitate me removing
~/.kde/share/config/amarok_homerc again.  This surely can't be right,
and in any event it is a major PITA having to set up all of the
preferences, etc., again.  Any suggestions for a longer term fix that
stays fixed?

(2) This may/ not be related, but Amarok will play okay once I have
removed ~/.kde/share/config/amarok_homerc, but then after a while of not
using Amarok and either leaving it or simply closing it and opening it
up again later, the progress bar doesn't move, no sound is produced on
playback, even though the time indicator suggests that something is
being played back.

These issues are making Amarok less than useful.  Trouble is, I don't
know if this is a local issue or whether others have been experiencing
this as well.  The Amarok list seems such low volume that it is
difficult to establish if the list is even active and/ or whether this
application is still supported.  I hope it is, because I used to rate
Amarok as my favourite music player on various polls, but at this rate I
just can't use it anymore, which is a real shame.

Can anyone help shine a light on this and help make Amarok usable for me
again?

Many thanks.

AG