I'm now finished with Amarok

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 21 15:58:31 UTC 2011

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Lübking at 10/04/11 18:41 did gyre and gimble:
> Sorry cannot discontinue, #1 is relevant to the public.
>
> Am 10.04.2011, 18:23 Uhr, schrieb Donn Washburn <n5xwb at comcast.net>:
>> #1 not being set keep k3b, amarok and vlc (ones I play with) not to work
>> before recent issues.
> You have /explicitly/ been told that this is a "wrong" (bad) solution (aka
> "naive workaround")
> I struggle to believe that SuSE doesn't explicitly add users to the audio
> group or resets the devnodes to root:root or similar but I don't know for
> sure either. (Last SuSE versions used was 10.3 were this was not the
> case), however and
>
> To put that straight and very clear for you and everyone:
> "chmod 666 /dev/snd/*" etc IS PLAIN WRONG. - do NOT!
> Just add your user account to the audio group or whatever group has proper
> permissions on those nodes.
> Any sane Desktop distro should do that anyway and as a certified retired
> whatever and long time *nix user you actually should know that ;-P

This is also wrong. You should very rarely have to add a user to the
audio group. If you do that on a typical desktop (i.e. not
dedicated/embedded) box, you're almost certainly doing something wrong
(or your distro is).

Any modern system uses console-kit and udev to apply ACLs, not groups
for permissions.

As I stated in another reply, adding users to the audio group will in
many cases break audio in the case of e.g. fast-user switching.

Please do not fiddle with anything manually. If ck-list-sessions does
not report your user as "ACTIVE" then you should not have permission, if
it does report you as active, then something with ck/udev or similar is
busted and should be reported to the appropriate authorities!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie