I'm now finished with Amarok

Donn Washburn n5xwb at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 16:23:11 UTC 2011

On 04/10/2011 01:56 AM, Peter C. Ndikuwera wrote:
> On 9 April 2011 16:32, Donn Washburn <n5xwb at comcast.net
> <mailto:n5xwb at comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>     I had similar problems with Amarok but I did get it working.  These are
>     some of the headache I had with openSuSE and Amarok (and several others
>     in KDE).
>     1.Check permissions on all device /dev audio related items.  Here it was
>     dsp and mixer  The settings i set them to is 666 from 660.
>     2. The sound module was not spotted correctly aby Yast2 (Yet Another
>     Setup Tool).  yast2>Hardware>Sound put dummy first above
>     "snd-hda-intel".  I deferred dummy and that helped.
>     3. And to get Amarok and other programs to play mp3 I had to download
>     from SuSE a bunch of related mp3 stuff.
>     4. I also had to download, compile xine, install files and dump
>     gstreamer in Amarok.  Good news phonon was not the problem
>
>     Amarok is now working correctly.   Even on a git version.
>
>     Good luck!
>

> I don't think your situation is typical. I've used SuSE/OpenSUSE for
> years and all I've ever had to do was add a couple of repositories,
> install the required development libraries and Amarok just worked. None
> of your points (even #3) are actual Amarok problems. They seem to be
> soundcard and/or configuration issues.
>
> Peter
Well Peter;

I am compTIA Linux+ Certified Retired Professional.  Started with Xenix
way back in 1980s. I sure do like the way Linux has gone instead of
dealing with Xenix and SCO.  Been using SuSE since you paid for it.

#1 not being set keep k3b, amarok and vlc (ones I play with) not to work
before recent issues.
#2 caused the sound not to work by Setup autoconfig during a setup load
so it decided to assign dummy instead of snd-hda-intel ( fixed that one ).
#3 until recent Packman software I used to have to download and compile
the same things Packman has now.  Which is kind of strange.  If legal
reasons are for openSuSE not able to supply mp3 libxine-codecs and
phonon-backend-xine then how does Packman supply it?  it is easier that way.
4. that used to be the only way to get Amarok to work.  Now xine-ui will
compile but xine-lib kind of doesn't like to.

I believe I will discontinue this thread. Don't need to get Amarok
upset.  Contact me direct if you need to.

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email:" n5xwb at comcast.net "