I'm now finished with Amarok

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 22:30:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:27 AM, AG <computing.account at googlemail.com> wrote:
> After so many different attempts to make Amarok work, I am sorry to say
> this but I am now done with this damned thing.  It has proven itself to
> be terminally buggy on my system, plays for a few days then without
> warning and with no changes to my system aside from KDE updates on
> Debian testing, it just stops playing.  It loads the track and gets
> stuck on pause - despite my best efforts to change that status.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Have you tried running
Amarok from the console:

amarok --debug --nofork

to see what the output is, when it gets "stuck on pause"?

> UI have renamed and then removed the ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and
> relevant config files so many times now and that helps for a bit, but
> then Amarok just decides to quit playing again.

Sometimes that works, if your configs have become borked, but that
isn't the first thing to try.

> It really is too bad because it was my favourite music app and the
> developers had really made some great advances in getting the cover
> fetching manager working right as well.  Unless KDE and Amarok learn how
> to play nicely on this system, then Amarok has to go in favour of JaJuk.

Since this is Free Software, the developers rely on the users giving
feedback. It is a bit of a pain to file bugs, but think of it as the
way you pay for Free.

That said, software choice isn't like politics or religion. You can
choose the software that best meets your needs, and we can still be
friends, I hope.

With the rise of spam, it seems that the mail list is the least-used
place for user support these days. IRC is the most immediate (#amarok
on Freenode), or the Forum, http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=127

And naturally, bugs.kde.org (found automatically on your Help menu) is
the place to file bugs - not the list, not the forum, and not IRC.

All the best,

Valorie
--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez