[Feedback] Asking for a little information...

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Sep 17 08:51:09 UTC 2010

Hi Lukas,

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:13,
<amarokcontactshoutcast.5.urwald at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Lukas Sommer sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Hello.
>
> The release notes for Amarok 2.2 RC 1
> (http://amarok.kde.org/en/releases/2.2/rc/1) say:
>
> Changes: Removed Shoutcast Directory service due to technical and other
> issues.
>
> Have this been only technical problems or also legal problems as discussed in
> the comments (Terms of Use of shoutcast.com etc)?

The main reason we removed it are indeed legal reasons, if you read
their API conditions you should get aware of the problems quite fast.
It is impossible for us to implement their conditions.

> I'm asking this because I'm developing a KDE application which records
> streams. Actually I offer only an Icecast directory. Before starting to work
> an a Shoutcast directory, I would like to know if there are legal issues - if
> so, I would drop this project.

Well, as said above, if you read their API conditions, it is quite
obvious where the problem lies.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org