Multiple Collections or similar

Marcel Hilzinger mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de
Tue Nov 2 18:14:00 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, 30. Oktober 2010 18:42:42 schrieb Cody Christensen:
> On Saturday, October 30, 2010 07:54:18 am Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 06:53, Cody Christensen <codyregister at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > >        Hi everybody. I recently decided that I need to get my music
> > > collection under control but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.
> > >        What I am looking for is basically multiple collections. I've
> > > read some stuff on why there is not multiple collection support but
> > > nobody seemed to mention my use case.
> > >        I have a lot of music that I don't want in my "main" collection
> > > all of the time. Example... I have many Christmas songs that are from
> > > artists that I don't have any other music by. This fills up my
> > > collection browser with a ton of artists that 10 months of the year I
> > > just have to scroll by and filter though. If I could have a separate
> > > collection just for the Christmas music that I could turn on and off it
> > > would make it much easier to find what I want to listen to.
> > >        I also got a bunch of CD's from a family member which I ripped
> > > but most of the time I don't want to listen to that music because their
> > > taste in music differs alot. And there are many movie sound tracks
> > > which clutters up my artist view much like the Christmas songs to. It
> > > would be nice to have that in a separate collection that I could enable
> > > or disable as desired.
> > >
> > >        The best Idea that I have would be to make some kind of sym link
> > > or maybe faux-partition that I could mount and un-mount as desired in
> > > order to simulate the removable collections.
> > >
> > > Any Ideas?
> >
> > Hi Cody,
> >
> > I don't know if that will help you but I always hide my christmas
> > collection from Amarok by renaming the directory it is in from
> > /christmas to /.christmas. This way the collection scanner doesn't see
> > it.

This is a nice way, but I'm sure, I would forget about the .christmas-Folder
after 11 month :-)

I had a similar idea some month ago: Hide Tracks

I have a lot of albums, where there is one track, which I do definively not
like. But rather than deleting or moving the file away, I would just like to
ban it from beeing played in Amarok. So there could be a feature like banned
tracks and banned albums with a corresponding menü Entry "Show banned items".

Many image viewers have this feature also implemented, I think it's quite
useful.

Marcel

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 34 110, Fax: +49 89 99 34 1199
mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de
Linux New Media, the Pulse of Open Source: Lawrence, KS - Málaga
Manchester - München - São Paulo - Warszawa