Playlist and Context UI improvements

Matus Smatana matus.smatana at gmx.com
Mon May 24 13:23:11 UTC 2010

Hi, first of all thanks for the great application & I'm not really sure if this
is the right place for feature(?) request, but.. well I couldn't find better.

I have moderate music collection (30gb) and from it are cca 30% single songs,
50% albums and 20% albums with various artists. And no settings (except
disabling grouping/sorting and hiding some elements) can provide me with the
look I want to have. So here are some proposals how to solve(?) those
problems:

1. Collection
- better various artist detection
same album name / different artist for each track,
artist name: Various Artists
I mean come on, if these aren't in various artists category then nothing
should be..
- (maybe) single song category (with manual entry adding) to clean things up

2. Playlist (layout)
- different head/body view for various artists
what looks good with normal albums
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5971/snapshot06.png
isn't that great with various artists (head: showing only artist from the fist
song / body: missing artists in other songs)
- ability to set album cover size
currently to have bigger/smaller album cover you have to add/remove entries in
head view
- grouping
a) multi level grouping: only one (but for me important) example I could find
was albums with more cds
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4052/snapshot08.png
but I think there will be more use cases where this will come handy. Settings
could look like playlist sorting.
b) (maybe) different grouping for each category (albums, various artists,
single song)
because users might want different grouping for various artist.. well now it's
same (albums grouped, single songs aren't) but it's not so obvious

3. Context
- something like (awesome) playlist layout editor for context plugins
let's face it.. context layout looks good (understand: acceptable) only with
default (3 pane) layout
other than that, it looks weird
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5452/snapshot05.png
so things like positioning, size (width, height), (maybe) number of shown
plugins are needed for custom layout

And small thing like show volume % when changing volume would be nice, because
with some color schemes indicator is almost invisible.

That's it.. if you've got this far thanks for reading ;)