Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 29 12:51:22 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Modestas Vainius at 29/03/10 12:21 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello,
>
> On pirmadienis 29 Kovas 2010 00:45:15 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> This certainly used to be the case, but quite some time ago I did work
>> to properly integrate Phonon and PulseAudio.
>>
>> As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you should ask your distribution
>> to include the latest phonon from gitorious
>
> This is unacceptable. If you (upstream) want distributions to ship later
> phonon version, do your part of the job and properly release a new version.
> Simple as that. Telling random users to ask distributors to update packages to
> random *development* snapshots won't do any good for anybody.

Most distros I know have been shipping the snapshots of phonon for the
last couple releases.

Because Phonon from Qt is not the same as Phonon from KDE, there is
significant version confusion anyway and most if not all distro
maintainers are aware of this disparity for the phonon package.

It's not really something I can personally fix, but it's certainly been
the solution we've used and it works very well and I'm just trying to
share that experience.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie