Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 28 21:42:07 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Lübking at 27/03/10 23:20 did gyre and gimble:
> Am Sunday 28 March 2010 schrieb AG:
>> My mistake - it is installed at /usr/bin .  However, after stopping the
>> process, Amarok gives no sound whatsoever .. which is even worse than
>> stopping after two songs.  Not cool.
> do _not_ kill  run pulseaudio directly, rely on the init script (so that you
> get direct alsa or oss playback when it's shut down)

This seems like very strange advice. All linux distros that I know off
do not default to running PulseAudio via an init script. Running PA
system wide is not something we recommend upstream except in special
circumstances. 99% of the time PA is run as a the user, not a system
service.

I'm not familiar with the Debian setup regarding this, so perhaps they
do default to system wide....

Regardless, most of the problems with PA relate to a poorly integrated
configuration. I've done a lot of work in this regard and current
version of phonon include good PA support.

If you get a listing for the PA device interspersed with other hardware
in the device listings then you are using an old version of phonon and
should ask your distro to update to the latest git version and to ensure
that it is built against pulseaudio development headers/libs. Building
phonon with support for PA does not require it be used, but it always
sensible to give users the options.

It may be valid to test things without PA to see if this is indeed a
problem, but it's also worth understand that a correctly configured
setup is a pretty sweet thing :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie