Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:08:42 UTC 2010

Thomas Lübking wrote:
> There's a known bug in the phonon xine backend (and or certain versions of
> libxine) regarding flac files - so if playback happens to stop on flac files
> you should try the gtreamer, mplayer or vlc backends.
>
> Still i recommand to get pulseaudio out of the way at least for testing (it's
> just another pot. chainbreaker, try "sudo /etc/init.rd/pulseaudio stop")
> I had several systems (though Ubuntu) where this broke sound in general.
>
> Cheers

I've tested this again, ensuring that no flac nor ogg files were in the
play queue and it still stopped audio playback after the second song.

Pulseaudio doesn't seem to be enabled on my system:
    $ init.rd/pulseaudio stop
    bash: init.rd/pulseaudio: No such file or directory

There also doesn't seem to be any alternative to xine ... nor any
obvious ways that I can add a new backend to the list either, so I think
that I am stuck with this situation, which effectively renders Amarok
unusable for me.