Amarok, iPods, and podcasts

Thad Humphries thad.humphries at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:39:17 UTC 2010

Yesterday I found a solution to my podcasts, iPod, and Amarok/openSuSE 11.2
problem:  GPodder <http://gpodder.org/>

YMMV, but GPodder seems to work well for me:  I was able to check all my
podcast sites (mostly NPR), download the latest podcasts, and copy them to
my 5th generation iPod.  I don't believe the interface is as nice as
Amarok's (deleting tracks from the iPod is not elegant), but it works.
GPodder 2.0 is on the openSuSE 11.2 DVD, and the GPodder website includes
installers for a number of distros.

A word of caution:  When Amarok was open in my system tray and had active
podcast subscriptions, my X session locked up when I opened GPodder.  I had
to telnet in from another machine and kill the GPodder process.  Removing
the subscriptions from Amarok before running GPodder seems to have fixed
that.

As for Amarok 2.3, I'm still adjusting to the very different interface
vis-a-vis 1.4, but I'm slowly getting used to it.  I copied a track from my
hard disk to my iPod and it went over without a hitch, album art and all.
In fact, I think the new interface for doing such copies is an improvement
over 1.4.

So while It is annoying to see my podcasts scattered about Amarok's listing
of my iPod, and though I haven't messed with playlists yet, but I'm feeling
more optimistic than I did a week ago.