Give me your tired, your hungry, your Various Artists

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 21 07:28:49 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jeff Mitchell at 20/03/10 21:36 did gyre and gimble:
> On 3/20/2010 5:26 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Jeff Mitchell at 20/03/10 16:03 did gyre and gimble:

>>> This brings up a deeper problem, which is: if you have both album and
>>> album artist tags, which do you display when viewing artists in the
>>> collection browser?
>>>
>>> The answer isn't obvious and depends strongly on personal preference.
>>
>> I guess the display preference would be solved by the approach outlined
>> at the end of my mail, tho' simple it is not :p
>
> Nope...far too complicated for the current time. Plus someone would have
> to actually fix the collection browser first :-)
>
> Your emails are a bit of a mixed blessing. On one hand it's a lot of
> food for thought. On the other hand, it severely complicates what I had
> planned to do  :-)

Sorrreeee :)

As a halfway house to how the collection browser works currently, it
probably wouldn't be too complicated to expose the option of "album
artist" in the view modes of the collection browser. e.g. I could choose
"album artist/album/track" or "artist/album/track". Only in the former
would the VA node appear - it being for when artist == null in the album
table (the real heuristics are probably more complex than that but I'm
sure it explains the gist for how it could work).

I guess really it just boils down to how desirable it is to expose the
album artist (for me personally it's very desirable, but I'm sure not
everyone would agree).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie