merge request: Automated Playlist Generator

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 02:25:43 UTC 2010

I've created a merge request for the Automated Playlist Generator:

     http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/148

If you want to play with the code, you can get it from the "generator"
branch of my git repository:

     http://gitorious.org/~stharward/amarok/stharward-work

I've also uploaded a demo video to the AmarokStudios YouTube channel
(thanks, Lydia, for helping with this):

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6VEsvQNnjQ

I wrote the APG because the current dynamic playlist/bias system still
hasn't achieved feature parity with the Smart Playlists of v1.4, and
the algorithmic parts of the bias system have some, IMO, serious
design flaws.  I will admit that the UI of the APG (particularly the
preset editor) is not as straightforward to use as the UI for the bias
system for dynamic playlists, and expect to make some changes based on
user feedback.  However, I think the current Preset Editor is no more
difficult to use than Smart Playlists in v1.4 were, and the cost of
getting over the learning curve is more than offset by the fact that
the APG actually does what you think it should based on what you see
in the UI, unlike the current bias system.  In other words, a
moderately complex UI with a stable backend that performs correctly is
preferable to a simple UI with an unstable backend that performs
unpredictably.

--
Soren Harward