Amarok is so cool that VW even named a car after it.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 14 14:25:49 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Eelko Berkenpies at 09/03/10 08:56 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please forgive me if I bring up an old subject (a quick search didn't gave me
> any results though) but did you know that Volkswagen is apparently building a
> car that is called Amarok? At least I didn't and I was quite surprised they
> did, in both a pleasant (the car looks quite bad-ass, imho) and a slightly
> disturbing way (can they just claim the name like that?).

Amarok is an Inuit wolf-related folk take IIRC (details escape me of the
top of my head, but I'm sure Wikipedia can tell you more). That's where
the wolf mascot comes from.

So as for "claim[ing] the name", I don't think VW have any more or less
right to the name than the Amarok media player does.

Col.

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie