trouble with mysql

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto jmbsvicetto at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 25 15:01:30 UTC 2010

 Hi James.

On 24-06-2010 01:28, James wrote:
>   On 06/23/10 19:59, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:24 AM, James<bjlockie at lockie.ca>  wrote:
>>>   I'm having trouble setting up mysql.
>>>

>>> $  mysql -u amarokuser -h localhost -p
>>> Enter password:
>>> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'amarokuser'@'localhost'
>>> (using password: YES)
>> Hey James, do you have a particular reason for using a separate mysql
>> instance? If not, it's best to go with the embedded mysql, which needs
>> no setup by the user at all. Amarok install takes care of that
>> automatically.
> Ya, I use  Gentoo and "they" recommended not to use embedded.

We don't enable by default the embedded support as our old patch to
build libmysqld as a shared lib doesn't work with mysql-5.1, we
haven't been able to finish an update to the patch that works with it
and by enabling the embedded support in amarok the user will be forced
to use mysql-5.0.

>> If you have a particular need for an external mysql, our help page is
here:

>> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_Server
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Valorie
> Thanks, I'll read it.

If you didn't enable the embedded use flag, the ebuild showed in the
postinst messages a warning that you should read that link.