Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Jul 30 18:29:37 UTC 2010

On 7/30/2010 2:16 PM, Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> Not commenting on anything else, as I'm not really an Amarok developer, just
> this observation:
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 01:10:56AM +1000, Ben K wrote:
>> Myriam, why are you so resistant to constructive feedback?
>>  Every time someone provides feedback, it seems that many of the Amarok devs
>> have a knee-jerk reaction to try and shut down the poster. In general I've
>> noticed a tendency of framing responses so as to avoid making any change not
>> already foreshadowed by amarok devs.
>
> This usually happens with subjects and feedback that has come many, many
> times before, and been discussed to death (and hence people are tired of
> repeating the justifications).

That wasn't the case, and isn't a good excuse anyways. All projects get
people asking the same questions over and over; Amarok is no different.

If someone is tired of answering the same questions, there are far
better ways to answer than saying, essentially, "you don't understand
that or are not doing it right" (which happens to not actually answer
the question). For instance:

* Put it in an FAQ somewhere, and give a link to it as the answer.
* Find out, if it is such a common question, why it is so common and
come up with change proposal to the development team.
* Not answer at all, and let others answer.

--Jeff